BEIJING, China (CNN)
A former Chinese government official has been sentenced to death after a leaky toilet led police to a stash of cash he’d collected in bribes, state media reported.
- Yan Dabin was the former director of transportation for Wushan County in southwest China. He was sentenced Friday for accepting bribes totaling 22.3 million yuan ($3.2 million) in exchange for awarding contracts for road and bridge construction, the news agency Xinhua said.
- He was arrested after a resident called a police station to complain that water was leaking through the ceiling from the vacant apartment above. Yan owned the unit.
- A police officer sent to help a maintenance worker enter the property discovered the cause of the overflowing toilet: eight soaked cardboard boxes containing 9.39 million yuan ($ 1.3 million), Xinhua said.
- Yan’s wife was sentenced to three years in prison after she was found guilty of laundering more than 9 million yuan ($ 1.3 million) in a series of house purchases, the news agency said.
- Beijing has been trying to rein in corruption after a series of several highly-publicized corruption cases involving officials who steal.